Monday, November 1, 2010

2 days before Halloween

So 2 days before Halloween, I went to 3 stores that sell Halloween costumes around the bay area to find out whether women are being sexualized through those costumes or not. One of them is Spirit Halloween, which is one of the most well known Halloween stores. But before I describe what I’ve found in this store, I want to define the word ‘sexy’. In this experiment, sexy means the costumes are at least 25 cm above the knee, form fitting, reveal cleavage, strapless or sleeveless. The costumes don’t have to fulfill all the criteria that I just mentioned, but it has to be at least form-fitting and short.
In this store I use one aisle of costumes as my sample and after counting them, the sexy costumes are around 106 out of 147. That’s like 72% of the costumes sold are sexy. Most of them have the word sexy, hot or flirty attach to the title of the costumes. Like “flirty fire fighter” as shown in picture below

And I discover how women have only 3 choices of costumes which are sexy, scary, or funny. So then if most of the costumes sold are sexy, most likely women are going to dress up as the hot cop or sexy SpongeBob. This kinda surprised me because this is my first Halloween in US and I have always thought in Halloween people dressed scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment